Our goal is bigger than keeping the lights on. We want the
community to thrive, so we give a lot more than safe and reliable
We’re continually investing resources to ensure our
infrastructure meets the region’s future electrical demands.
Whether we’re starting initiatives that enhance quality of life
or contribute to the region’s economic growth, our goal is the
same — to build strong and vibrant communities where we all can
Projects that plan to illuminate regional and neighborhood landmarks, recreational lighting, as well as lighting initiatives promoting economic vitality, safety and security in the various communities and neighborhoods Duquesne Light serves are welcome to apply for funding consideration. This builds on successful partnerships like the architectural lighting of Penn Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh and the Roberto Clemente Bridge, safety lights installed on Smallman Street in Pittsburgh's Strip District, and the various community ball fields and recreation areas that have received grants to help install lighting.
Economic Development and Community Development Organizations
Organizations that specifically target certain neighborhoods or economic development initiatives are welcome to apply for funding consideration, especially though the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Neighborhood Assistance Program (NAP) or Neighborhood Partnership Program (NPP).
Organizations that specifically work with children and youth educational initiatives are welcome to apply for funding consideration, especially through the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program.
Organizations that specifically work with low- and moderate-income families to assist in improving their quality of life are welcome to apply for funding consideration. Special consideration will be given to organizations that help this population with assistance in keeping essential services.
Click here to see 2017 Donation Recipients
Working on something that’s good for the community? We’d love to
hear about it. Please fill out the application provided below to
Send written proposals to:
Duquesne Light Company
Community Outreach 411 Seventh Avenue
Mail Drop 15-5
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Our charitable giving program's mission is to provide funding to
worthy 501(c)(3) organizations or its equivalent state and/or
municipal government counterparts within our service territory
that make our region a better place to live.
Our program will not provide funding for:
- Organizations outside the company's service area
- Institutions supported by tax dollars, with the exception of
a 501(c)(3) equivalent state and/or municipal government
- Organizations that discriminate by race, color, creed,
gender, sexual orientation or national origin
- Religious organizations, except for non-sectarian activities
- General street lighting projects (i.e., replacement of
- Hanging or installation of holiday lighting/decorations
- Individuals or private foundations
- Fraternal organizations
- Profit-making entities
- Capital campaigns, operating expenses, salaries or travel
- Specific arts performances or openings
- Fundraising dinners, luncheons or events for organizations
that do not fall within our funding priorities
- Golf outings
- Political or advocacy organizations
- Healthcare/medical research initiatives
- Organizations that receive significant United Way funding
Applying for Support
Proposals must include the application, should not exceed three
typewritten pages, cannot be accepted via phone, and must contain
the following information:
- What is the description of the project and grant amount
- What is the target population/community?
- What is the proposed timeline for implementing this project?
- What is the issue and/or opportunity the proposed project
- What are the anticipated outcomes at the end of the project?
- What method will be used to measure the achievement of those
- What is your organization's role and qualifications in
helping to implement this project?
- What methods and/or opportunities will you provide to ensure
Duquesne Light receives positive public relations for its
contribution to this project?
All applications must also include:
- A description of the organization and its mission.
- Current operating budget, sources of revenue, and audited
financial statements for the past two years.
- Organizational structure and board membership.
- 501(c) (3) Determination Letter from the IRS or a statement
indicating that the grant recipient is a political subdivision of
the Commonwealth of PA.
- Verification of good legal standing.
Notification of Decision
Organizations that follow the procedures listed above will be
notified of funding decisions within a reasonable amount of time.
Organizations that send general funding requests and do not
follow the application process stated above will not receive any
acknowledgement of the solicitation.
Publicity and Public Disclosure
Any publicity or public disclosure of the awarding of a grant
from Duquesne Light Company must be approved by the Company's
Corporate Communications Department prior to release.