Do you have an old refrigerator cooling a few items in your basement or garage? Did you know it may be using up to four times the electricity of a new model? With all that leftover energy, you could save up to $150 a year on your electric bill.
Save up to $150 a year on energy
Duquesne Light’s Watt Choices program will pay you $35 to recycle that old, energy-wasting refrigerator or freezer and will haul it away at no charge.
Doubly green: recycling and cash
You’ll receive your rebate check within six weeks of pickup. Our program partner, ARCA, will break down your old refrigerator and 95 percent of the components will be recycled.
Reducing your energy use also reduces the need for more power plants as well as the environmental impact of energy generation. Get a $35 rebate.
ADDITIONAL APPLIANCE RECYCLING INFORMATION
- Have it hauled away for free!!
- Duquesne Light will pay you $35 per refrigerator or freezer.
- The old appliance will be disposed of responsibly. It will be dismantled and more than 90% of each unit will be recycled in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Reduce your energy needs thus reducing the need for more power plants and reducing the environmental impacts of energy generation.
- This program is available to Duquesne Light residential customers on a first-come, first-served basis until funding is expended.
- Refrigerators and freezers must be in working condition, must be 10 years or older, and must be a minimum of 10 cubic feet in size.
- You are required to have the functioning refrigerator at your Duquesne Light billing address at the time of the removal.
- You must own the appliance being recycled.
- Limit of two units per residential address.
- The appliance must be accessible, with a clear path for removal by ARCA
- A check will be mailed to the customer within 4-6 weeks after the appliance collection.
- Some restrictions apply.
ARCA will call you 1-2 days in advance to give you a 4 hour time frame as to when the driver will arrive.
You will need to have the unit plugged in, emptied out, and running. The driver will inspect it to verify that it is the right size, between 10 and 30 cubic feet, and working.Please note, if the unit is too small or large or not working, the crew will not be able to pick it up.
The pick-up team inspects and verifies these requirements.
Within approximately 4-6 weeks after the pick-up, you will receive your rebate check in the mail.
For questions about your appointment or rebate call 1-800-257-2510.
Why is Duquesne Light offering the program?
The program helps customers save money by eliminating older, energy-wasting units. In turn, it reduces Duquesne Light’s overall energy needs thus reducing the need for more power plants and avoiding the environmental impacts of energy generation. In addition, units are recycled in a environmentally responsible manner and are not being returned to the used appliance market.
How much of the refrigerator is recycled and how does it benefit the environment?
More than 90 percent of each unit is recycled. ARCA safely disposes of toxins and ozone-destroying chlorofluorocarbon (CFC-11) gases from foam insulation. After capturing toxins (oils, mercury, PCBs) and ozone-depleting substances (CFC 11 and other foam insulation blowing agents and CFC 12 and other refrigerants) the program recycles all the plastic, metals and glass in the refrigerator, thus limiting landfill waste.
Whom do I contact if ARCA does not arrive at the scheduled date and time?
Whom do I contact if I need to reschedule or cancel my appointment?