We welcome customers who would like to interconnect a qualified, renewable energy generating system, such as a solar panel or wind turbine, to our transmission and distribution system.
Following are links to a variety of information, including requirements and procedures to make an interconnection.
- The customer is required to submit:
- Part One – Level 1 Application/Agreement (Certified Inverter-based Units of 10 kW and Under) OR Level 2, 3, or 4 Application/Agreement (All other units)
- Site Plan
- One-line diagram
- Application Description & Fees
- Level 1 - Certified inverter based installations with aggregate rating less than 10 kW - $100
- Level 2 - Certified inverter based installations with aggregate rating 10 kW to 2,000 kW - $250 plus $1.00 per kw.
- Level 3 - Non-Certified equipment 2,000 kW or less that will export power to Duquesne Light Company - $350 plus $2.00 per kw.
- Level 4 - Non-Certified equipment 2,000 kW or less that will not export power to Duquesne Light Company - $350 plus $2.00 per kw.
- Contact Duquesne Light at 412-393-4343 to set up a Work Request Number. The work request number must be provided to your electrician for documenting the receipt of the approved wiring inspection for the completed installation and to ensure your billing account is updated with the proper rate information (required).
- All required documents can be sent electronically, or by U.S. mail to:
- E-mail: Interconnection@duqlight.com
- U.S. Mail: Interconnection Coordinator
Duquesne Light Company
2839 New Beaver Ave.
Mail Drop N2-SO
Pittsburgh, PA 15233
- Upon receipt of the Part One Application
- Level 1 Application - The Company will review for completeness and will either grant approval to install the system or explain why approval was not granted.
- Level 2, 3, 4 Application - The Company will review for completeness and may require additional information, depending upon the complexity of the design. If additional feasibility studies and modifications of the utility distribution system are required, the company will notify the applicant and provide estimated costs for such a study and/or modification. The company will then either grant approval to install the system or explain why approval was not granted.
- Once the Application is approved, the customer can install the system in accordance with the Duquesne Light Standards for Connection and the Interconnection Application/Agreement Terms and Conditions for Interconnection.
- Upon completion of the installation, the customer is required to submit:
- Certificate of Completion for the appropriate level of installation. This shall be sent electronically or by US mail to the addresses in Step 2.
- Approved electrical inspection card signed by the customer's electrical inspector must be mailed or faxed to Duquesne Light's New Business Section. Please contact 412-393-4343 for more information.
- Upon receipt of Certificate of Completion the company will:
- Review the application for completeness
- Determine the need for a witness test
- Complete the documentation and authorize the interconnection of the installed system
- Arrange for the installation of the appropriate metering for billing purposes
- Arrange for Rider 21 status to be added to the customer's account
Level 1 Interconnection Application (Terms and Conditions)
Level 1 Certificate of Completion
Levels 2, 3, or 4 Interconnection Application
Levels 2, 3, or 4 Certificate of Completion
Please refer to the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission website or Commonwealth of Pennsylvania code site, Title 52, Chapter 75, Alternative Energy Portfolio Standards for further information.